At your initial appointment, your facial form, jaw relationship and tooth positions will be assessed to ascertain your specific treatment needs.
Treatment options will be discussed and an appropriate treatment plan formulated. The following choices of braces are available:
- Removable appliances are held over the teeth with small metal or plastic components. Such braces can be removed by the patient to allow access for tooth brushing. The applications of these braces are limited and may not be used in the treatment of more complex cases.
- Fixed appliances are also referred to as “train track braces”. These are small metal or clear ceramic pieces attached to the surfaces of the teeth and connected with wires. These cannot be removed but allow precise tooth movements for optimal results.
- Functional appliances are removable braces which aim to alter jaw growth. They are best used during maximum adolescent growth (between the ages of 11-14). Such appliances can significantly improve jaw relationships and facial aesthetics and are often used prior to fixed appliances to achieve the best possible results.
- Invisalign is a method of treatment involving the use of a series of removable plastic trays that are custom made for you. Each invisible and comfortable aligner allows a small amount of tooth movement until the desired result is achieved.
- Retainers may be removable or fixed. Retainers are recommended for long term use for most patients to ensure that the smile we create stays with you for life.